Monday, January 25, 2010

The Comical Tragedy or Tragical Comedy of Mr Punch

Author: Neil Gaiman and illustrations by Dave McKean
Genre: Graphic/Visual Novel 

The Comical Tragedy or Tragical Comedy of Mr Punch is a graphic novel that I stumbled upon at the bookstore which I decided to pick up and read because it was written by Neil Gaiman. Recollecting his childhood memories during a brief stay at his grandfather's seaside arcade, the unnamed character of the book tells a dark story filled with fear, betrayal and a possible murder.  

The graphic novel though a short and quick read is to me, quite a difficult book to enjoy. The novel is dark and morbid and the artwork used is not something I preferred. It did however add a dark feel to the overall reading experience. At times, I found the book hard to read and it's not just the font size of the text but the storyline itself was quite confusing to me. You can call me dense but unfortunately I didn't understand the storyline nor did I enjoy reading this book. I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman's work and have read a couple of his books but sad to say this is my least favourite from his collection.

 
-->

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the cover is fantastically classic ..
I love it!!!!

ArtSparker said...

I believe it's to some extent a classic English rundown seaside town story, that is, it's run-down characters in a decaying town, more of a mood piece than a story.

Related Posts with Thumbnails