Monday, May 18, 2009

The Gashlycrumb Tinies

I found The Gashlycrumb Tinies lying around looking out of place in the teen section of my favourite bookstore. There was something about the cover that attracted me to it. It reminded me of Tim Burton’s style somehow. Anyway, I picked it up and read it within five minutes. I believe my immediate reaction was ‘how weird.’
The Gashlycrumb Tinies is a dark version or parody of a children’s book made for adult readers created by Edward Gorey. The book features the untimely death of 26 kids each represented by an alphabet.

Despite my initial reaction I loved the illustrations from the book except for maybe one or two of the deaths that I thought was a bit too graphic. It took a while but the book kinda grew on me and I think it’s absolutely cool. I’m buying myself a copy for my personal collection and am also looking forward to reading Gorey’s other books.

If you’d like to learn more about Edward Gorey please click here. In the meantime for those who are curious about the book I found a YouTube version of the The Gashlycrumb Tinies for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

5 comments:

christina said...

oh my gosh, I love Edward Gorey. Thank you thank you thank you for posting this cool UTube adaptation to his book. :)

Melody said...

Oh, I love the cover! I'd have to check this out!

Amanda said...

I know it's dorky, but I really love this book and most of Gorey's work. It's just so absurdly funny!

Katrina said...

wow, that was disturbing!

marineko said...

I'm a big fan of Edward Gorey! When I was in high school only one shop sold his stuff (Mischief Books at Ampang, now already closed though).

Related Posts with Thumbnails