Saturday, March 21, 2009

Inkheart Trilogy: Inkheart



Meggie lives a peaceful and quiet life with her father, Mo who is a book restorer. Her mother disappeared when she was young, but despite the absence of her mother; Mo and Meggie live a pleasant life enriched with books and their common love of reading. Little did Meggie know that her father keeps a secret. Mo has an ability to bring characters from books to life when he reads it out loud and this was unfortunately the cause of her mother’s disappearance. One day a disreputable character named Dustfinger appears at their doorsteps and informs Mo (whom he calls Silvertongue) that Capricorn was searching for him and a book he possesses called Inkheart.
With that, the adventure begins for both Mo and Meggie and their lives changed forever.
This is the first time I’ve read a book from Cornelia Funke and I found the premise of the book very interesting. I like the way Funke included characters from other classics into the book; like Farid from The Arabian Nights and even Tinker Bell from Peter Pan which she successfully includes into her own storyline seamlessly.
Other than that, unfortunately I found the story a bit slow to read. It lacked the adventure and adrenalin that would make me addicted to the pages. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Inkheart but I wasn't captivated by the storyline and ended the last chapter with 'Oh ok. That's it?'

3 comments:

Beth F said...

Nice review. The second book is the best of the three, so you might want to try it some time.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the note. Am not giving up on the Inkheart trilogy just yet. I'm sure I'll pick up Inkspell sooner or later. Right now, I cant seem to put down The Time Traveller's Wife!

Alice said...

I agree that there are some slow parts there. Nice review!

Related Posts with Thumbnails