Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Forest of Hands & Teeth

The Forest of Hands & Teeth is a young adult post apocalyptic romance novel surrounding a girl name Mary who lives her life in a village cut off from the world. The village is protected by a fence that keeps the occupants safe from the Forest of Hands & Teeth, where the Unconsecrated dwells. Believing that there is more to life than what is offered in the village Mary has a strong urge to go beyond and explore the world.

What I liked about the book?
The Forest of Hands & Teeth is one of the best post-apocalyptic books that I have ever read. Carrie Ryan’s style of writing transported me to Mary’s world. It was an intense read which manages to bring the character to life. I was literally living her fear, anguish and despair. The Forest of Hands & Teeth also provided an adrenalin rush as the villagers and those who survive try to escape and save themselves from the attacks of the Unconsecrated.

What I didn’t like about the book?
I felt that there were a lot of loose ends in the book that was not resolved so it had an anti-climatic ending. However, I found out from Wikipedia that it is part of a trilogy. Maybe Ryan left many unanswered questions in the first book to tie up the loose ends in the future books to come and I eagerly await the release of the second book to find out how it turns out for Mary as well as closure to some of the loose ends.
 
Verdict: Whilst The Forest of Hands & Teeth left much for me to ponder, it is to me one of the best books I’ve read in 2009. Despite the loose ends, Ryans writing was excellent and successfully brought me into Mary’s world.

If you’d like to read The Forest of Hands & Teeth, here’s a quick preview of the book from YouTube:

5 comments:

Nely said...

I really liked this book too - I can't wait for the next in the series.

Marg said...

I have heard such good things about this book! One of these days i will read it. Have you read The Hunger Games?

Unknown said...

Hi Marg, no I havent read the hunger games but I got myself a copy sometime last week and I cant wait to read it. :)

Alice said...

I heard so much about this book and hope to read it one day. It's still in my wish list...

By the way, Natasha, could you please let me know what book you'd like for the book giveaway you've won? I still haven't heard from you on the choice.

I finished THE HUNGER GAMES and loved it.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Nice review - and good news that it's part of a trilogy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails